Historical & Technical Society
2018 Annual Conference
Oct 31 – Nov 3rd, 2018
This year’s SPH&TS convention will be from October 31st to November 4 at the Hyatt Regency Monterey in beautiful Monterey, CA. We have negotiated a special rate of $159 per night for members. You can book your reservation online through the direct link provided by the hotel:
They can also be reached by phone at 1 831-372-1234. Remember to mention the special SPH&TS rate!
Presentations currently in the lineup include:
- Dave Hambleton – A Brief History of the Monterey Branch
- Dave Hambleton – The Monterey Branch: A Photographic Then and Now Comparative
- John Sanders – History of the Hotel Del Monte
- Scott Inman & John Ruehle – Southern Pacific’s Luxury Commute: The Del Monte in HO Scale
- Kyle Wyatt – Narrow Gauge Railroads of Monterey Bay
- Kyle Wyatt – Growing up in Monterey (1960’s/1970’s)
- Don Munger & Jeff Cauthen – Trains 94/95: The Starlight
- Tony Thompson – Coast Route Transition-era Freight Operations
- Ken Harrison – Maintenance of Way Cars
- David Coscia – Glendale Remembered: The Photos of Richard Steinheimer
- Charlie Lange – Photographing the Coast Line in the 1960’s & 1970’s
- Jean-Guy Dube – Coast Line Depots & Shelters
- Bruce Morden – California Sugar Beet Operations (focusing on the Coast Division)
- Michael Binder – Those aren’t sugar beets… When nukes rode SP’s rails
For extra fares, we have scheduled:
- Trip to Roaring Camp and Big Trees on Wednesday October 31. Trip includes a limited tour of the engine house, on the narrow gauge line, and a trip on the standard gauge line to Santa Cruz as we recreate the Sun Tan Special. We can carry as many as wish to attend.
- Brunch at the Naval Postgraduate School on the grounds of the former Hotel Del Monte. As an added bonus, we will also be treated to a walking tour of the grounds after brunch by retired NPS archivist John Sanders. This will be an event not to be missed! Strictly limited to 80 people. Strict limit of 2 tickets per registration.
Other events will also include an old-timers panel, and model railroad layout tours featuring the Monterey & Salinas Valley Railroad Club (in the former Salinas REA building), member Dave Loveless’s layout featuring the SP Coast Division, and the Santa Cruz County Railroad Historical Society featuring 3 layouts in G, HO and N scale. There are also many opportunities for members and spouses to enjoy fine dining, wine tasting, shopping or sight-seeing around the peninsula.
Please join us as we highball for Monterey! All aboard….