Historical & Technical Society
2018 Annual Conference
Oct 31 – Nov 3rd, 2018
This year’s SPH&TS convention will be from October 31st to November 4 at the Hyatt Regency Monterey in beautiful Monterey, CA. We have negotiated a special rate of $159 per night for members. You can book your reservation online through the Society’s website (https://sphts.org/convention/), or use the direct link provided by the hotel:
They can also be reached by phone at 1-831-373-6141, but remember to mention the special SPH&TS rate.
Presentations currently in the lineup include:
- History of the Southern Pacific Monterey branch, and a photographic ‘then and now’ comparative by David Hambleton
- History of the historic Hotel Del Monte by John Sanders
- Modeling the Del Monte (both Steam & Diesel era) by Scott Inman and John Ruehle
- Narrow Gauge Railroads of Monterey Bay by Kyle Wyatt
- Growing up in Monterey in the 1960s and 1970s by Kyle Wyatt
- Starlight: Trains 94/95 by Don Munger & Jeff Cauthen
- Coast Line freight trains by Tony Thompson
- Richard Steinheimer and Glendale, California by David Coscia
- Maintenance of Way cars by Ken Harrison
- Milepost: Coast main line by Charlie Lange
- Depots and Passenger Shelters along the Coast main line by Jean-Guy Dube
For extra fares, we have scheduled:
- Trip to Roaring Camp and Big Trees on Wednesday October 31. Trip includes a limited tour of the engine house, on the narrow gauge line, and a trip on the standard gauge line to Santa Cruz as we recreate the Sun Tan Special. We can carry as many as wish to attend.
- Brunch at the Naval Postgraduate School on the grounds of the former Hotel Del Monte. As an added bonus, we will also be treated to a walking tour of the grounds after brunch by retired NPS archivist John Sanders. This will be an event not to be missed! Strictly limited to 80 people. Strict limit of 2 tickets per registration.
Other events will also include an old-timers panel, and model railroad layout tours featuring the Monterey & Salinas Valley Railroad Club (in the former Salinas REA building), member Dave Loveless’s layout featuring the SP Coast Division, and the Santa Cruz County Railroad Historical Society featuring 3 layouts in G, HO and N scale. There are also many opportunities for members and spouses to enjoy fine dining, wine tasting, shopping or sight-seeing around the peninsula.
Please join us as we highball for Monterey! All aboard….